Our life in Argentina, South America

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

30 Thankful Days {#2}

Today, as I can now confidently look in the mirror without feelings of "ugh", "ick", and/or groanings of embarrassment, I am feeling very thankful for:


#2. Modern Conveniences/Technology

You see, I made a little trip today, a very overdue trip to a little place of pampering. A little oasis from kiddos where I sit and watch the workers do their magic and my hair turn from a color that I don't much care for {to say the least!} back to a nice rich brown. How I wish it would come out from the roots that way. It used to. Once upon a time {quite} a few years back now. But, since things seem to be progressing scarily in the other direction at least I can run to this place of hair refuge and restoration, more commonly known as the hair salon.

I realize that "back in the day" this would not have been an option and therefore, I am thankful. But, not only for the powers that come in that goopy/stinky stuff they smear on my rebel hair, but for all the many perks of living in this modern age. I know that there are advantages to living in the "olden days"--a slower, simpler life style and less materialism and worldly influence to name a few, but oh the blessings of the wonderful commodities that surround us. 

Just think of it--as I sit here in a room illuminated by electric lights, typing away on my laptop, with an optical mouse, printer/scanner/copier, external hard drive, CD burner, and digital camera all within arms length. Plus the amazing "connect-ability" that I find in places such as Facebook, Skype, and "bloggy land" which allow me to stay in touch with my family and friends with ease.That's just what I can see from my computer chair. 

If I wander the rest of my house I am met with such modern marvels as a portable DVD player, cordless telephones, cell phones, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, stove/oven, indoor plumbing, hot running water, washer and dryer {can I get an AMEN!!}, etc., etc. And outside sits a working vehicle, too. I am sure I left out something{s}, but I think you get the idea. I am thankful for each of these things that I so often take for granted and glad that I live in this day and age where I have so many things to make my daily tasks easier and faster. 


So, it might be nice to go back to those "Little House on the Prairie" days, but I think I will stay right where I am at with my lovely modern conveniences all around me. Wouldn't you?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! :)