Thanksgiving...aaahhhh {contented sigh}...how I love this time of year....how many wonderful memories it holds.
Memories of:
Crispy fall leaves swirling around in the yard and pumpkins sitting on the deck
Cool, brisk mornings, perfect for wearing your favorite sweater
Waking to the smell of turkey in the oven (or even better, deep fried) and the promise of many more wonderful dishes to go along with it
Peeling potatoes with my mom (yes, I am probably still the slowest one)
Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade as a family
Hot apple cider to warm me up from the inside out
A day to enjoy family togetherness
and of course, throwing up--I know not exactly a wonderful memory, but a memory nonetheless...throwing up my Thanksgiving meal because I was pregnant with my sweet Clara at the time...{I guess--wink} she was worth it
...Just to name a few.
It no longer includes many of these things...there are no fall leaves nor crisp air, rather the fragrance of spring flowers and humidity.
Now I wake to get my little family ready to go and we make our way to some friends' house for an "American" Thanksgiving--mission field style. Yes, in spite of the "wrong" season and the heat we still prepare the traditional dishes as much as possible. We all bring food to share, and it looks as though we are preparing to feed an army or store up for the winter (but it's spring, so that makes no sense ;)
The ladies laugh and chat and compare babies. What's new with your kids?, how's homeschooling going?, how are things at your church?, etc.. are all frequently asked/heard ?s. Meanwhile the men are busy trying to correct all the wrongs in the world and love to ask those "What if" ?s and get into debates both Biblical and political. The kiddos run to and fro amidst us seeking out their long lost playmates and having quite the time, while the babies are doted on and passed around and loved on by all.
Don't forget the FOOD! Like all good Baptists, esp. as missionaries, and esp. on Thanksgiving we manage to devour the majority of the enormous spread until we can't possible fit another bite of turkey n' taters or 'punkin' pie in.
We also use this as an opportunity to exchange any books that we are ready to part with; such fun to scan through the piles and find a few "new to you" books to bring home, too.
The other missionaries become your "family for the day" and if you are wise your dear friends for a lifetime. After all, who better/closer to understand where you are at and what you are going through and to reach out and help in your time of need?! We have so many dear friends here, and hope that we can do half as much for them and for other new missionaries that come along as they have done for us. They have showed us such love and kindness; one more thing to add to the growing list of things to be thankful for.
BOTH Thanksgivings, here and there, are unique and special in their own ways. I wouldn't trade any of them for the world, because no matter where I have been on Thanksgiving, I have always been surrounded with people that I care about and care about me and every year the Lord has blessed me with an innumerable amount of people and things to be thankful. I cannot complain, actually I have nothing to complain about. All that I am able to do is stand in awe and be thankful to "...him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think..." --Eph. 3:20. That's what He has done for me...He has given me far more than I ever could have dreamed of...
So, as I contemplate Thanksgiving Day and all the memories that come with it, my ♥ overflows with gratitude to my Heavenly Father and I will attempt to scratch the surface of my "Thankful List" and share some of those blessings with you soon.
God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment
So glad to hear from you! :)