Our life in Argentina, South America

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful Thoughts--Part 3, My Redeemer

 As I began my brief search of the Scriptures to see what the Bible has to say about giving thanks, I was truly amazed at the plethora of verses that I found in just a short time. It also made me sit up and take notice of some qualities that pertain to my Lord and Saviour for which I need to be especially thankful. So here's a much abbreviated list (If you are looking for more "Thanksgiving verses" I guess you will have to do some "diggin'" yourself ;) )



Notice the highlighted attributes of God that are mentioned in verses dealing with giving thanks. Also, my attention was drawn to how often singing and praising and rejoicing and sacrifice are entertwined with Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving produces an attitude of selflessness as we take the focus off ourselves and put it where it belongs--on Jesus!

 **Emphasis added**

  That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.
--Psalms 26:7

Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
--Psalms 30:4

To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee forever.
--Psalms 30:12

I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
--Psalms 69:30


Unto thee, O God, do we give thanks, unto thee do we give thanks: for that thy name is near thy wondrous works declare.
--Psalms 75:1

So we thy people and sheep of thy pasture will give thee thanks forever: we will show forth thy praise to all generations.
--Psalms 79:13

It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High:
--Psalms 92:1

Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
--Psalms 95:2

A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
--Psalms 100:1-5

O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people.
--Psalms 105:1

Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever.
--Psalms 106:1

Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the heathen, to give thanks unto thy holy name, and to triumph in thy praise.
--Psalms 106:47

And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.
--Psalms 107:22

I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD.
--Psalms 116:17

At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments. --Psalms 119:62

Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence.
--Psalms 140:13

Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God:
--Psalms 147:7

Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
--2 Corinthians 9:11

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
--Philippians 4:6

Rooted and built up in him, and established in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
--Colossians 2:7


I stand in awe at my Blessed Redeemer, 
when I think of all that He has done for me.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
--Psalms 19:4

And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer.
--Psalms 78:35

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
--Isaiah 44:6,8

Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me.
I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
Sing, O ye heavens; for the LORD hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel. Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;
--Isaiah 44:21-24

Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
--Isaiah 48:17

I just LOVE these verses that speak of my Redeemer's Love! I am thankful that He blotted out all my sins, that he made me in His image, and that leads me in the way that I should go. He truly is my Strength and Rock! 


Thinking on these things makes me want to sing and shout and rejoice, just like Isaiah wrote about.

For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
2 Corinthians 4:15


And best of all, I want my thankfulness to "redound to the glory of God". How often do I fail and take for granted the things that I hold so dear? May I do better to make everyday a "Thanks Giving" day!



Happy Thanksgiving, my dear friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! :)