Our life in Argentina, South America

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thankful Thoughts--Part One, "Birthday Lane"

Thinking about Thanksgiving does not only cause me to pause and consider the differences between holidays here and there, but also to think of the wonderful people that have made my Thanksgivings so special. Thanksgiving, in our family, falls right in the middle of "Birthday Season". Starting on Sept. 7 and continuing on until Dec. 30 (which, as we all know is then followed up by New Year's) sprinkled in every month along with fall festivities, Thanksgiving and Christmas, we celebrate all (and I do mean ALL) the birthdays on my hubby's side, including in-laws and my parents' bdays as well. It's a lot of fun and a bit crazy! Just trying to keep up with getting the birthday cards bought and phone calls made is hectic at times, because just when you think that you are in the clear {Wheeeew!} another one sneaks up on you! But, it is a great reminder of all the dear people in my life that I am privileged to call family.
So, I will begin my walk down "Birthday Lane" and tell you a bit about what these dear ones mean to me:

September starts off with Matt's brother, Evan's birthday. What can I say about him?! He generally comes off as pretty quiet and a more laid back person I have yet to meet. However, he finds his vocal chords when it comes to giving me a hard time about my preferences in sports teams {how convenient!} He is a fun person to be around and works along side my FIL continuing the legacy as 4th generation on the family farm.


My BIL, Evan, the mighty deer slayer

Next we come to my hubby, Matt, (who was born in the BEST month {October}, of course). I could fill up page after page with all that is to be said about this dear man that I am privileged to be married to. His sense of humor is one of a kind, he is very rarely riled {trust me, I have tried him in this area at times}, and so patient with me. He is an amazing father who takes time for his "precious pumpkins". He is wise with our finances, which is extra important when living abroad. He is very discerning when it comes to things both Biblical and political. I can go to him for counsel and know that he will steer me in the right {Biblical} direction. He's my "Cornucopia of both useful and useless information", and {most of the time} I love that about him. To sum it up, he has to be pretty wonderful to be married to {put up with} me!

Next, my kind MIL. Hmmm....the first words that come to my mind are hard-working and multi-talented. She is very down to earth and does a great job of balancing farm work, housework, church activities, etc. If I have a cooking, sewing, or crocheting "problem" I definitely know who to call. She loves to "do" for her family, including making adorable dresses for her granddaughters, baby sweaters, blankets, doilies, etc., to preparing everyone's favorites such as cheeseburger soup, oatmeal bread and choc/PB balls. She gardens and cans and shares with us all. So gracious and giving.

My MIL teaching Clara how to make bread

My BIL, Greg{gy} comes shortly thereafter. Greg is...well...quite the character. Comes across so quiet and innocent, but actually not so much! He loves to be outdoors and romp through the woods or dangle from perilous heights. He would build a log cabin with his own 2 hands and live in it and love it {that is if my SIL would let him! Fat Chance!} He is fearless and just a bit crazy. He LOVES kids, esp. his own 2 cuties, and does a great job working with the kids at church, both on the bus and in junior church. He always seems to find a way to make everything into an adventure or at least put his own unique twist on it. He's one of those guys where there may not be a lot of words flying out of his mouth, but watch out! 'cuz you can tell that in his mind the gears are always a turnin'.

Greg & Missy, enjoying a birthday lunch


And ending out a very birthday-packed month of October is my own dear daddy. How I love and miss him! For me, he is the silent strength and anchor in our family. He is like an unwavering mighty oak in his solid knowledge of the Bible. He is a truth-seeker and a gold-digger. Searching God's Word and extracting new found treasures. If I am wondering about something, he will give me a chapter and verse {not to mention it's exact location in his Bible down to the column and placement on the page--no joke!} Also, I think back on all of his hard work and sacrifice to put me and my brothers through Christian school, food on the table and clothes on our backs. Without complaint {when there were plenty of things he could have complained about} doing what needed to be done. Guiding our family through the trials of life by walking hand in hand with the Lord.

November brings the birthdays of my SILs. First Matt's sister, Missy. She has such a wonderful bubbly personality and is such a good, organized {unlike me} little homemaker and mama to her babies. Although we have had our ups and downs in the past, we have also shared a lot of great memories, shopping, and chatting, and laughing together, watching our babies grow and change. She is my bargain hunting and volleyball playing partner. If there is something going on, you can bet that she knows about it and is probably in the middle of it, too. So thankful for Skype and our IM chats to keep us in touch.

My pretty SIL, Missy

Andrea is Matt's brother, Evan's, new bride. Unfortunately, due to the 5,000+ miles between us we have not been able to get to know each other/spend much time together yet. She is a sweet young woman who strives to be a good wife to Evan and adapt to life on the farm and all that that entails. She seems rather subdued and laid back, but I have a feeling that down deep she really has a lot to say when you get to know her. It is always interesting to have a new dynamic in the family and I look forward to seeing how she will fit in our crazy bunch.

Moving onto December, there's my sweet mom. She's quiet {probably a good thing as I talk enough for the both of us--ha!} and kind and unassuming. Her preference is generally for her family to choose their preferences--whatever the situation may be. She's very thoughtful and encouraging; I remember so many times finding a kind note tucked in my lunch box or in my mail box at college. Just good ole' mom  checking up on me and making sure that I felt loved. She looks well to the ways of her house and has given her life in giving to others, both at home and at church. She got the creative/artistic genes in our family; she has been doing school art projects and countless bulletin boards of all types for years. She is my fountain of resource when it comes to school/bulletin board/paper crafts.She comes up with these "crazy" ideas and molds them into brilliantly creative masterpieces. She is faithful and dependable; whatever the task, it is in safe and capable hands when given to her.

And, last but not least, my FIL ends out the year. He has a good head for business and finance {he has to, he's a farmer after all}. He puts in long hard days and goes to sleep with no regrets. He loves to be with his family and if he could figure out a way to travel and see the world as well as run the farm, he would do it in a heartbeat. He is dedicated; to his wife and kids, to the farm, and most of all to his Lord. Babies aren't really his thing, but now that the granddaughters are getting a bit older he has a soft spot for them, too. {I think they are wearing him down in the baby dept.}And yes, like all the men in my life, he likes to pick on me, too {but I wouldn't have it any other way--Shhhhhh! Don't tell!}.

My FIL with his first grandbaby, Clara
Of course, I have other family, my babies and my 2 brothers for which I am very thankful for, too. I am not trying to leave them out in the cold, but this time of year with all these birthdays gets me thinking {even more than usual} about these extra special people in my life.


Clara's 2nd Thanksgiving--2008 at the farm



You know the sayings "You don't get to choose the family that you are born into, God chooses for you" and "You don't just marry your husband, you marry his family, too"?!? Well, I am so, so very thankful that the Lord chose both of my families for me and that I am surrounded by so much love. I love each and every one of them and would not trade them for the world! I feel doubly blessed to be a part of 2 amazing Christian families that support us in love and prayer as we serve the Lord in far away Argentina. Truly, what would I do if it were not for all of them behind us? God surely knows what I need and is ever faithful in supplying.




"Thank you, Lord,
for giving me my families. 
I love them and my desire is
to make them proud by faithfully serving you.
Please take care of and protect each one
let them know that, though faraway,
I am proud to be their daughter, sister, and friend."






P.S. Please pray for our laptop--it is in the shop and we have to resort to using the 'sometimes-working dinosaur', hence my lack of pics of all my family members. Hopefully, we will be back up and running on all cylinders soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! :)