Our life in Argentina, South America

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Really "Roughing It"

Lately I have kind of been in a writing slump. Ever feel like that? I have things to write about, yet none of them have appealed to me. Just kinda "BLAH" in the writing dept. Grant it, I could tell you about the 2 LoooonG weeks of camp. I could mention how we truly "camped out" in a tent for 7 of the 10 days. And on the 7th day, God sent rain. We had dealt with rain on day 1, but survived, cleaned up the muddy puddles, and carried on. However on the 7th day, God did NOT send a nice little shower, He did NOT send a nice soothing, soaking rain, o no, He sent a DELUGE!!! High winds, torrential downpours, lightning flashing, and thunder crashing, yep, the whole works!! And do you think that I had the common sense to get me and my pajama-clad children out of there before all the festivities began. Nope, of course not! There we were, me with a kiddo on each side, snuggled up on our makeshift bed of 4 foam camp mattresses, with the wind whipping and booming and banging all around us. At one point, there was a big flash simultaneously accompanied by a really loud, in-my-ear, Ka-BOOM clap of thunder, and I seriously expected 1 of the 2 trees that we were under to burst into flames at any moment. Thankfully, this did not happen and we did not turn into extra crispy critters either. Obviously at this time, I am totally kicking myself for not having gotten out of their before all this craziness began, What was I thinking, anyways?!

After about 1/2 hr. which felt like MUCH longer than that, Matt and a friend came to our rescue. We grabbed up everything and threw it in the back of our car and made a run for it to the nearest building with babies in tow. Unfortunately, because there was so much rain and so much driving wind, the water had begun to come in all 4 corners of the tent, soaking the mattresses and Bub's crib. Needless to say, after the much needed evacuation we decided not to give it a second try, but rather relocated for the last 3 days.

So now we have our very own camp/tent/ "roughing it" story. And we got to reminisce with the "old-timers" at camp about their camping out/tent stories as well. What do you know, we aren't the only ones that have these things happen to us. I feel much better now, and drier too. {Wink, grin :) }

Now, to show you that camp was by no means a bad experience, here's a few of our pics. I didn't take very many and mostly just of our punkins {that's what young moms are supposed to do, isn't it?!} Enjoy!

Clara and her brand new tennis shoes--She really likes them!

She ♥s the swings at camp--she would live in one if she could!

Of course, Ethan had to try them out, too!

"Alright daddy, I trust you"

Look of Pure Happiness!

Clara always wants to go "Higher, HIGHER!!"

2 Cutie Punkins in a Swing :)

FLYING BABY!!

My Handsome Men

Such a CUTIE!! ♥

Most importantly, the Lord used camp to bring around 30 young people to know Him as Saviour over the course of the 3 weeks. That makes all the hard work, madness, and mess, worth it all! As for me and the kids, we survived and with smiles still on our faces, what more could we ask for?! :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVED this pictures. Your little man is just so cute! Love you, Maria

    ReplyDelete

So glad to hear from you! :)