Guess #2: Hair? Not hair either. Clara cringes at the thought and runs away, hoping Mommy will forget, do her hair in a "Messy-Up" or at the very least allow her to watch "Super Genius" {aka. Bugs Bunny} while Mama dukes it out with those snarly tangles.
Guess #3: Puppy? What puppy? Wishful thinking, huh? And def. NOT a kitty either, mama doesn't do cats {allergies, gotta love 'em} as much as Clara (and daddy) may want to add a cute little ball of fur to the fam.
Give up yet?
The answer is...
COUCH
That was your next guess, right?
After all, it makes perfectly logical sense. Ok, ok, before you call the nice man with the little white jacket to come and take me away, let me 'splain.
Down here on the other half of the planet, we have a lack of a lil' somethin'. Something typically found in every average or even not so avg. American household. It is commonly called a vacuum cleaner. Dust, dirt, grime, etc. builds up on your carpet/floor, and VOILA! you whip out your handy-dandy dirt sucking device and before you can say "Presto-Chango!" it all magically disappears! Amazing, right?! But, like I was sayin', those are a rare, if not impossible, luxury to come across down here. I am sure that is due to the other lacking thing--CARPET! Therefore, Argentines do not see a need or have any clue about the marvels of the modern vacuum cleaner. That's right folks, you will find no Bissell, Dirt Devil, Hoover, etc. here. Everything, is concrete, tile, or wood, and gets swept, mopped, and waxed.
Not exactly my idea of a good time or of comfy lounging on the floor, or my first choice for my kids to wipe out on.
{11 month old + crawling/sliding around = whacking head on very, very hard floor--poor baby! although if I attach a rag or sponge to his backside, maybe he could do a little multi-tasking crawling/cleaning for me...hmmm.... ;) }
Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I obviously do not own a vacuum cleaner. I do have a Dust Buster type "gizmo" from the States that does a semi-decent job and does come in handy on occasion. Unfortunately, my nice, brown couch (and no, it is not a shaggy-dog type couch) is a lint, hair, crumb, you-name-it, magnet. With 2 kiddos and 2 adults that sometimes act like kiddos in the house, there is never an end to my war against the "nitty grittys" that like to get on/in my couch and drive me nuts {I know, I don't have far to go to get there!}. And my little vac. just aint gettin' the job done.
So to make my pointless story just a tad longer...I decided to try brushing my couch. I have this little hand broom/brush thingy with dust pan, the bristles are fairly soft, so I gave it a shot. You know what, it actually did a pretty good job. Took way less time, got rid of any {noticeable} ickies and did NOT scare my 11 month old like the vac. does. His poor little terrified face; it was truly pathetic. So, idk, maybe the idea of "brushing" your couch creeps you out, maybe its actually really nasty, all I know is that so far it's working for me and I didn't have to buy anything new either! {I know hubby will like that last part! :) }
Maybe you are reading this and thinking "Strange little missionary mama...she's got some odd ways of doing things...etc., etc." And that's okay, 'cuz you're right! Finding what works for me and my family--that's what matters! :))
It's the little things that make my life easier and brighten my day.
P.S. Nope, no pics. today. 'Cuz, honestly, who wants to see a pic of my hand broom and couch? ;)
Not Strange at all..lol:) You know back in the Prairie and real old days people didn't have one so they prob.did the same thing. I always wonder what people from past time periods would be like if they came back to todays world and seen all the inventions and stuff we have to do stuff with now..
ReplyDeleteJennifer