Our life in Argentina, South America

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Walking Banana and the Pajama Lady



Do you remember the song that goes:

"Bananas in pajamas, are coming down the stairs,
 Bananas in pajamas, are coming down in pairs..." 

etc., etc. I don't remember the rest, but it really goes along with what I saw the other day.

**NOTE: Before you go elsewhere, and ignore my "goofy" post, I promise it does get better and much more "spiritual" at the end. Please read on...{wink}
You see, we went to do {lovely} paperwork. Always a blast, esp. when you have your 2 small kiddos in tow. Gratefully, they did extremely well, in spite of the long wait, lack of nap time, etc. We get to the immigrations place and, lo and behold, we have to {big surprise} wait! {Notice this post is oozing with sarcasm already, be careful not to get any goo on you! ;) }

But, no problem, this mama came prepared for the long haul. Big stroller in which to "store" the Baby Man if necessary and when all else fails, diaper bag chocked full of diapers, bottles, sippie cups, granola bars, cereal, and more. Oh, and Clara came with her book bag fully equipped with an arsenal of dolls and ponies to keep her occupied for quite some time. I even had the foresight to grab a book or two on the way out the door. Brownie points for me!

However, the best entertainment of all was easily spotted all around me. What better place to see interesting people that at an immigrations office, packed out with people from around the world! And, let me tell ya, there were some sights to behold. The most vivid were indeed a "Walking Banana" and the "Pajama Lady". No those aren't their real names I suppose, but I have dubbed them such, as today they were very fitting titles.

You see, as my eyes roamed around the {gigantic} room, they could not help but light upon this particular {black} lady. First, you don't see many black people down here (not being prejudiced; it's the Truth!) and also, her outfit was screaming at the world for attention. It was some sort of jogging ensemble, hoodie with those velvety looking pants, and all, head to toe, in bright yellow. No print to break it up and tone it down a bit, nope, just solid {kind of obnoxious} banana yellow. We won't even talk about how it was rather plastered on her, too. It really struck me as a comical; no fear and no shame. Hey, to each his own, as long as I don't have to wear it!

And then, about the same time in fact, came along the pajama lady. I had no choice but to notice her; she casually sauntered up to the platform right in front of me and proceeded to have a whole big conversation with someone. Her pajamas...er...outfit was something to behold. It was more like a baseball jersey style nightgown actually. You know the ones that look like they have rounded shirt tails and hit a bit above the knee?!! Yep, right out in public. If she hadn't had shoes and accessories to boot I seriously would have questioned if she had looked in the mirror on the way out the door. Maybe she had a really, really big blond moment, and was suddenly going to encounter a moment of realization and say to herself,  
"WHOA!! How the world did I get out the door like this? 
What was I thinking and where are my clothes?"

Not the same print, but basically this style! Scary, isn't it?!!

Again, quite comical, and yet just really sad, too. I never cease to be amazed by people and their clothing {or lack thereof}. Where has the standard for modesty and propriety gone? In the states it is bad, but it is even worse in other countries where they never had much of one to begin with. Yikes!
 

Ok, so on a more serious, "spiritual" note. My attention was also called to the row behind us. It was filled, and I do mean filled, with at least 10-15 young guys between the ages of 18-21. They were all nicely dressed in dress pants, white dress shirts, ties, and those {nifty} pocket protectors, too. Can you guess who they might be? *Hint*: Remember we are at the immigrations office. Yep, Mormon missionaries.

And, of course, the first thought that struck me was, "And where are the Baptists?" What about us? Who is going to get the job done if we don't? The Mormons are certainly out there "doing their part". Too bad that their part is sharing a false hope. What about us Baptists, that have THE TRUTH? What are we doing with it? Are we hiding our candle?

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick;
and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, 
and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
--Matthew 5:14-16 

Pretty convicting, huh?! I know it sure got me. The Holy Spirit has a funny way of nailing me in the strangest places and when I least expect it. Guess I better keep studying His Word and this good ole' Spanish stuff so that I can be a better and more faithful light for Him in this sin-darkened world. Who knows? Someday I may even get to witness to the Walking Banana and the Pajama Lady. What a story that would make!! {SMILE}

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! :)