| My brother, Adam, at his Marine Corp. Boot Camp graduation, 2007 |
Meet my {little} brother, Adam. Well, he is younger than me and was little once upon a time. To me, he will always be my little brother. You know the kind that drive you crazy, chase you around the house and beat you up, embarrass the living daylights out of you (whatever "living daylights" are?! idk ha!) and generally think it is the #1 priority in their job description to annoy you. Yeah, one of those kind of little brothers. Anyone identify with that?! I am sure you get the idea.
On the other hand, growing up he was always the first one to stick up for me or lend a helping hand when I needed one. He put up with my torturous, manipulating ways {like swapping dishes duty for me to play a game with him}. I have many good memories of setting up the tent in the backyard and "camping out" with him or of tossing the baseball or playing football catch for hours. (Tip--when you are on opposite sides of the yard from each other it is much harder to get into a fight! ;) The list goes on as my mind recalls all the crazy, silly, goofy brother-sister things, we used to do.
As for you, you may call him, Marine. Protector. Defender of Freedom and Old Glory. He stands for a cause, our cause. Where we enjoy the freedoms, he fights to keep them firmly in place. Where we live in comfort, he lives in the midst of conflict. Where we know peace, he sees pandemonium. {yes, that's my big word for the day}.
Because today he doesn't sit safely within our country's shores. But rather is found, in the scorching desert somewhere in the middle of nowhere, in Afghanistan. He is sweating it out and doing it happily, because there's a job to be done. He doesn't just recognize that fact, as so many do, but goes above and beyond. He fulfills the need. He stands in the gap. He does it for you. He does it for me. He is one of many. They call themselves soldiers, we call them heroes!
So, you can see why my ♥ swells with pride today. On this day when we remember the fallen and the faithful. Those who have paid the ultimate price and those that are serving us now and willing to pay it, too.
| My mom with her "soldier boy" |
| My little bro., me, and Clara at 5 months |
"I have never been able to think
of the day as one of mourning;
I have never quite been able to feel
that half-masted flags
were appropriate on Decoration Day.
I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak,
because those whose dying we commemorate
rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it.
We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did."
~Benjamin Harrison
"They fell, but o'er their glorious grave
Floats free the banner of the cause they died to save."
~Francis Marion Crawford
Floats free the banner of the cause they died to save."
~Francis Marion Crawford
| I have to admit, he looks handsome in his uniform. |
Lil Bro. and your fellow soldiers~ Thank you for all you do on my behalf. For walking the rough road so that I will never have to trod it. For bearing the burden so that my shoulders do not have to carry it. For standing in the gap and doing what I cannot do. For protecting me, my loved ones, and the freedoms we hold dear. For your service and sacrifice, I thank you. There truly are no words to express my gratitude. You are my heroes. With love and prayers~ Your sis and supporter God bless America and Happy Memorial Day! |
Amen. I can see why you are so proud of him. Wow! He is tall when standing next to your mom!!! ha ha
ReplyDelete