Our life in Argentina, South America

Friday, September 24, 2010

Pretty Picture Verse Project

So, attempting to add a few more dimensions to my life~creatively speaking. I happen to be one of those people that is interested in a lot of things, but good at very few. Also, I often have good intentions of, oh, for example, crocheting a baby blanket (thanks to my wonderful MIL for bailing me out on that one when I ran out of time and yarn--it worked out alright in the end, I was making a baby blue and pistachio green afghan before Clara was born, but as she was/is a girl we saved it for Ethan. And, he LOVES to stuff his chubby fingers in the gaps, too! ;) Alright, back on subject. My MIL once upon a time gave me a loom thingy to use to make hats out of yarn. I did experiment with it a bit, but must admit that I never actually produced a hat from it. Sorry, mom! {Sheepish grin} Good thing, I gave it back to her; now she makes hats for her grandbabies. As you can see, I am a good dreamer, but not so great on the follow-through part. Kudos to those of you that are true "Go-Getters", who always see a project through to the end. I am working on that and learning to be more selective in the projects that I embark upon, too. Way too easy to start things, another story entirely to actually finish them!

Ok, all that to say that I think I have found a new nook in which to put my limited creative energies--Making Pretty Picture Verses. You know, the kind of pictures that look like they came right out of the calendar and have encouraging Scripture verses or sayings on them to frame and display. Well, this all started with my Secret Pal. At our church we have a little form to fill out for our Secret Pal, so that they have a clue about our likes and dislikes. Like if our favorite color is red and we love M&Ms, wait that's just ME {hee hee} My Secret Pal put on her paper that her favorite thing to collect is pretty Bible verses. After a bit of searching, I came to the realization that those are hard to come by, at least down here. So, I thought to myself, "Self, you have all kinds of resources at your little fingertips on the internet, what's keeping you from finding a picture of lovely scenery and adding a verse yourself?! Hmmm....that's a good ?, I suppose I could check into that, couldn't I? Why not?" And this is what I have come up with so far:

Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 
 Psalms 37:4

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. 

I Thessalonians 5:24

I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 
 John 17:4

The first 2 are made to be 8x10 size and the last one is a 5x7. The first is my fav thus far and I am continuing to experiment and tweak. Ideally, I would love to use pictures that I myself have taken, rather than "borrowing" them from other resources. Now, let's just hope that my Secret Pal enjoys them half as much as I enjoyed the experience of making them. I plan to give her Psalms 37:4 and John 17:4 prints for her birthday in a couple weeks. The frames are bought, Matt found some photo paper, now I am just praying that our printer cooperates and they turn out to be something worthy of hanging on the wall. I will have to take some pics of the finished product and get back to you. Such fun to attempt to be creative and a blessing to a friend, all at the same time!


P.S. I would love to hear feedback from you on what you think of my "works of art" and any constructive criticism to improve them, too! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! :)